Archive

Monthly Archives: October 2013

My boyfriend and I are renting a small apartment in the city. We love it here and I feel like it’s cozy BUT the one thing that has always bothered me: the vertical blinds on the main window. Not my style at all!

They were already installed before we got here.

beforeblindsclosed02

Luckily my darling Mum came over and helped me make them so I could remove those blinds (in a way that would not damage anything)!

I prefer curtains and I am not a fan the color of the blinds were. They actually look better in this photograph! In real life they were more of a mix of gray and green I call the colour ‘greyige’ I also disliked how when you opened them. they would open like this…

Image

I was brought up in a house with big windows and lots of natural light. That is how I like to live,windows open in the daytime to let the light in and see the trees outside!

Here’s how it looks now…

Image

lightin

afteratnight02

It was a challenge because I could not take off the rod/track or replace it with a new one.

I attached the new curtains by putting them AROUND the original track/thing that the blinds were on. Boy was it hard to get the little straps of fabric up and around the rod like so…

Image

I sewed the straps of fabric to the curtains, then I sewed pieces of Velcro to the straps and the other side of the curtain.

Despite the fact that they stay up with just the Velcro, I put safety pins in near the straps for extra assurance!

I was so lucky that my Mum did all the calculations for the window and hemmed them. Best mum in the world! It took my mum and I many hours to cut, press and hem them.

Then I spent many additional hours with loud music on, sewing straps and attaching Velcro.

We get so much natural light in during the day now, even when they are closed. I bought the fabric from ikea. It’s cotton sort of medium weight.

Next post will be back to the regular scheduled program. That is: Dresses I make. The mod dress just needs facing and zipper attached. I also have new short do. Cant wait to show you!

Come to think of it…

Image

Feel free to have LOL at my initial muslin for the Mod dress. The fit is good now and I drafted a collar, which is sort of bigger than intended. Anyway finished dress will be posted soon!

curtainsbeforeandafter03

Advertisements

moddressinspiration

Above: The inspiration for my next project(s) Click for bigger version of the inspiration image!

Apologies for how boring this blog has become. I have had to cut back on sewing due to problems with my legs (when I sew).

Anyway the thing is I LOVE clothing from the mid to late 60s (fav fashion era!) and I have become obsessed with trying to find a good pattern for a mod-style shift dress.

There are so many great makes all over the internet inspired by this kind of look. Cat, Gertie, Erica and Chanel just to mention a few!

I love the ease and simplicity of this kind of look.

In the past I have made looser darted shift dresses, but the fit has never been good.

I think I have found pattern to fulfill my dream of a late 60s look!

Enter Butterick 5607 view b (shortened version)…

If you look at the sewn dress on the pattern envelope it has this awful 90s pastel prom styling, but looking at the technical drawing it’s clear that it is a good base to achieve the look I want.

So basic! Princess seams/pannel lines are where its at!

Princess seams are much easier to fit and alter and super flattering on curves PLUS they are so quick to sew! There will be no marking and fussing around with darts for a change!

If I manage to make this pattern work for me I will make a ton of dresses with collars, colour clocking etc. A wardrobe of  these dresses mwhahahaha *ahem* sorry bit over excited!

So I have made two muslins of this pattern, just taking some excess out from the bust (hopefully making the bust less weird and pointy) I have also cut out the altered pattern in my fashion fabric, so I am on my way!