Continuing the animal theme here is my latest dress. I see a lot more novelty print dresses in my future, because it seems I am incapable of growing up, or acting too mature 😉
If I had to pick a safari animal that best represented me I would pick a zebra- they are so bold and print-tastic! Sorry bit of a photo dump in this post (I need to learn how to edit!)
Feel free to lol at the odd placement of my legs. I am not actually mega tall or hitting the roof of my apartment it’s just because I am standing on futon thing.
I bought the fabric about a year ago at spotlight and I originally intended to make a skirt out of it. I’m so glad I made a dress instead! There wasn’t a lot of fabric to work with but there was easily enough for Simplicity 2417 (my stash busting pattern)!
I realize wearing such a busy print is not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoy it. I love busy prints! Every time I make a dress out of a poly/cotton like this one, the garment gets a lot of wear because the fabric barley creases and its really durable!
I wore the dress today during a Christmas shopping expedition with my mum. It’s pretty comfortable and easy to wear (the waist is nice and roomy). I wore it chunky wooden platform shoes. My mum approved :).
So to conclude my foolishness: Zebras are awesome and now I have a dress covered in them. Mission accomplished!
This dress was so quick and easy! I want to make more very soon! Check out my previous post if you wanted to see how I constructed the dress.
I thought I would share with you some photos I took during the construction process
If you click on the image it will open a much larger version of it in another tab in your browser and it will give you a somewhat detailed description of what I did.
Note: I may have missed steps in my explanation… I just wanted to highlight the way I construct a dress with straps that has a lined bodice. I never follow pattern instructions, so my process may be different!
I used simplicity 2417 I have made a dress from this pattern before. I love this pattern, because its simple, quick to sew and uses such a small amount of fabric (compared to your average dress).
Alterations I made for my print dress: I shortened the straps by 4cms. I also took 6mm out of both side seams at the top of the bodice (as the original dress had become too roomy under the arms but I tapered it to nothing before the waist so it would stay the same size. That was it. cheaking the fit was easy because I already had by ‘stash busting dress’ made from the same pattern, so I could just try that on and see if the fit was right
Ok heres my process… If you click on the image it will open a much larger version of it in another tab in your browser and it will give you a somewhat detailed description of what I did.
Note: I may have missed steps in my explanation… I just wanted to highlight the way I construct a dress with a lined bodice and straps. I never follow pattern instructions, so my process may be different!