After all my posts on getting the fit right on this pattern I felt like this blog was becoming the Burda 7494 blog. I am so glad its over so I can move onto something new!
Sorry this post is so picture heavy. I was trying to get a photo that showed the real colour of the dress
I love the collar and the dress has the look I was after but I am not completely happy with the dress. In summary: Too tight around the armholes
Because of a stuff up during the construction process I had to over-lock around the armholes and attach bias binding to the armholes.
I like how the print on the fabric is so busy it totally hides the panel lines of the dress.
It was already pretty tight under the armholes which was the one thing I seem to have overlooked during my toile/muslin stages (does it ever end?).
One of the main reasons why I lined the bodice was so I could sew around the armholes, turn it inside out so that the armholes had a clean machine finish (like in the slapdash sewists tutorial)
I was so eager to get this dam thing finished that I sewed the bodice to the skirt and over-locked it together BEFORE i could do the lining/clean armholes trick. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but the fashion fabric I used frays like mad (its some sort of stage weave) so I was NOT going to unpick it!
I tried hand sewing around the armholes and it looked shocking. Let it be known. I hate hand sewing!
Fabric lining and notions:
- The blue fabric was around $5 a meter at a spotlight sale but I may have used a gift voucher and saved more.
- The fabric I used for the collar is a cotton drill I got it on sale but its usually $11.95 for a meter.
- The bodice lining is a poly/cotton lawn
- Navy and black polyester gutterman thread (I always use polyester gutterman!) and lastly 1 black invisible 50cm zip.
- I also used a little iron-on interfacing but I may not have needed too. It did add a lot of bulk. Perhaps the thing to do is to still add the interfacing but use a lighter fabric for the under collar.
Pattern: Burda 7494
Time to complete: after 7 muslins I wont even try to work it out. The dress itself over 6hrs because I messed up.
Date Completed: 8th Feb 2012
Amount of times worn: 1 (tonight :D) Family gathering
- Lower armhole under the arm and a little near the side back piece.
- Perhaps the skirt could be lengthened a bit.
- I took the waist in a bit in the final toile/muslin perhaps I did over-fit it a little.
- Next time I make a skirt that has a slit/back vent I think I will try inserting a godet because back vents kind of suck in certain ways.
- I better think more about the order or construction! Sew lining to bodice and armholes before attaching the skirt.