Hello lovely people! Just a quick skirt project to show you!
Why?/materials: I wanted to try Burda 7034… I’ve been in love with pleated skirts for a long time.
I also wanted to see if I could make a skirt from a dress pattern by using just the skirt portion and adding a straight waistband to it (not really a new idea but I hadn’t tried it before) . I’m happy to report that it was reasonably successful…
The downside is I always seem to have a honeymoon period after I have made a skirt, I get excited that I can mix and match it with things but then I NEVER end up wearing it, so who knows how this one will fair…
The cotton fabric was purchased as a full roll of discounted fabric a long time ago. I have also made a dress from this fabric way back in 2012.
So what does this one have going for it?
- So quick to whip up!
- I like a fuller skirt with short hair
- I may have got the length right this time…
- Using my special foot to do a blind machine hem is always swell!
So what do I dislike?
- There is some funky stuff happening in the back. I’m OK with pleats in the back (because I wouldn’t mind some *ahem* added volume in the back) but I’m not sold on the positing of pleats on the back.
- I wanted this skirt to be a little more snug, and sit higher on the waist. The waistband is just a straight piece of fabric, so that is probably not helping things…(If I make this again I may size down).
- The back has a little puckering, but it does not bother me enough to mean I’ll fix it…
In order to determine the length of the waistband (well also width) I took my measurments and I wrote down the length of waistbands already in my wardrobe. Measuring things you own and love is often a good way to get an idea of how you like things to fit.
After attaching the waistband to the skirt and trying it on I ended up shortening the waistband by about 3.5cm, it was pretty easy to do after the fact, by cutting off the excess fabric.
The dress pattern/skirt was a size 8. I sewed the seam allowance in twice (s.a was 3cms before trimming) I will remove 1.5cms from the pattern or go down a size if I make this again.
Would also be cool to add some kind of shaping to the waistband, darts or elastic…
I don’t remember if I shortened the initial skirt pattern, but I ended up cutting off 11cms before hemming
I must remember to make all these changes to the pattern I have not done it yet!
So that’s one item in the sewing pile done!