This is how I felt
(imge credit http://www.cowboylands.net)
Getting this pattern to fit has proved to be a good learning experience but a tedious one all the same. I have made 7 muslin/toiles.
Because I don’t understand fitting and pattern making that well I am not at the stage where I have standard adjustments that I make to new patterns to suit my body.
But I often notice the same problems. Such as…
Gaping/excess fabric above the bust. (Theory 1: My back is a little hunched or my front is shorter. Theory 2: Because I am a bigger cup/lower or bust size Theory 3: Hollow Chest)
Gaping at my back near the neck (Theory: Slightly Curved back)
Anyway this is how it fits now (I win Burda 7494 I win!)
The sewing is not fantastic but it is a trial run so I was messy.
Heres a little break down of what I have been through:
– In early versions I got rid of fabric from the side front bodice only (none on the center front) hoping it would get rid of excess fabric above the bust. This helped only a little little
– I then made a gape dart on the centre front pattern piece and pivoted the excess into the dart. Below is a picture showing how I did it.
Yey no more droopy fabric and the front but THEN I had these darts and the pannel lines that looked like pointy nipples. Not pretty! The darts were WAY too high on the dress.
Another problem was the neckline way WAY too high which is unflattering and uncomfortable.
– I lowered the neckline so I had to re-drafted the collar. I got a similar shape of collar by looking at the finished shape (without seam allowance) sewn up (muslin version 1) tracing that onto my new center front piece and lengthening it slightly. Had to factor in seam allowance to work out where the front of the collar would meet.
OK now to get rid of the darts the picture below shows how bad they looked.
– So to remove the bust darts I had to put the dart excess in my side front piece. It kind of defies explanation so here is an image so I can remember what I did.
– I originally added 2cms to the waistline but that was to much.
So I decided to make the waistline more curved. You can actually see it in the above image how the waistline kind of tapers upwards but is longer on the sides and back.
I shorted the skirt and added a slit but I have yet to figure out how to correctly sew a slit…
– I cut a big chunk out of the back neckline and that got rid of most of the gaping there.
-In my latest version (version 7) I took a little out of the waist. Hopefully with will work out because I am cutting it in my fashion fabric soon.
– I re-drafted facings for the new neckline and then drafted lining pieces to go with the facings.
Phew Perhaps I should sew with another pattern before I sew the Burda 7494 in my fashion fabric. Even writing the pattern number is tiring now.