I decided that I was getting way too fanatical about fit of my sewing projects and that a little more ease was OK. With past projects I have made muslins and test run after test run of each dress and it is such a tedious process that I would loose motivation to complete the project and go slightly crazy in the process. I find when I buy RTW I am nowhere near as fussy about fit or finish than when I make stuff myself.
This boring perfectionism had to end and I decided to cut straight into my fashion fabric fit be dammed (ok so it WAS a cheap fabric I have had for years). But the fit of this pattern turned out to be pretty good already (aside from a tiny tiny little bit of gaping at the neckline). I am loving the pattern and I think Simplicity 2444 will be a new go-to pattern for me!
I saw the amazing potential of this pattern after seeing it used by so many other seamstresses. These are my favorite versions of the dress: Adventures in dressmaking, Sew many happies and Dapper duds.
Anyway I only made minor changes to the pattern/dress
1. I omitted the facings and finished the edges by lining the bodice. Because I think, in a dress like this facings can be VERY annoying (not sitting flat and always popping up while you are trying to wear the dam thing)…So when possible just say NO to facings! hehe.
2. I took about 12cms of the skirt. I like a vintage-inspired look but I am partial to a shorter, more modern hem length particularly on a more prim dress like this one.
3. I sewed the pleats on the skirt a little differently to the instructions…I sewed them together at the lines (rather than just basting) and then basted them in the opposite direction to what was suggested (towards the belly/center). I like how this gives the pleats a more subtle look. But in the next version I make I am going to try it with the more exaggerated pleats which are pressed towards the hips and only basted on top.
4. omitted the center front seam on the skirt (cutting around the whole front skirt as one piece/putting the center front skirt seam on the fold).
The thing I am most excited about is the fact that I managed to get a clean finish whilst lining the bodice and the sleeves without ANY hand sewing. If you are new to this blog you have yet to learn of my rather unhealthy hatred of hand sewing… it’s sewing machine for me ALL the way!
I will post a tutorial on how to to this (or: “How to line a bodice which has sleeves with a clean finish”). I was SO HAPPY I found out how to do this. That totally gave me nerdy sewing joy. LOL.
BTW: IT was far too cold to wear this dress today 😦 I only wore it for the photos. I am not a fan of winter!
ummm…. I am not so good at posing…obviously.