I have been meaning to post this for a long time!
I think this is my favorite thing that I have ever made. I totally fell for this printed fabric and rather than allowing it to hide in my fabric stash for the rest of my life I actually used it!
And I took photos with some with the flash on, to see if I could get a more accurate color representation of the dress (but failed to get a good represenation)…
I really included the last one because I was so happy with the fact that my hair was behaving for once. Haha. The fit is better than it looks I promise. I was just wearing the wrong *ahem* undergarments.
The blue in the fabric is very different IRL, but eh I tried.
This year I am going to use all my good fabric (rather than saving it for the non existent “perfect project”). I love the print of the fabric its sort of delicious in a late 60s kind of way!
The fabric reminds me me of this print ad from the 60s (that I had on a pintrest board)…
I wore this dress to a 90th birthday party and got some lovely compliments, which I love because mature ladies are often the most stylish 🙂
I deliberately used a tried-and-true pattern (Simplicity 2417) that way I could skip the fitting woes for this project! I have already used this pattern countless times, but it is so easy and this pattern uses so little fabric, that I can’t stop! A sewing project that involves minor fitting and alterations is such a joy to sew.
The fabric is a light weight cotton drill that I bought at spotlight it was about $8 per meter on sale. That is far more than I usually pay, but I had to have it because the print was really calling my name.
When cutting out the skirt portion, I did consider the print, but I should have experimented more with positioning of the the print in relation to the pleats in the skirt, I sort of had to re-arrange it a bit ‘after-the fact’.
This dress is so easy to wear because I underlined the skirt portion with a light batiste. The reason I did this was because the drill creases easily…I figured that by underlining it, it would give it some weight and stability and stop it creasing as much. I was right!
The underling also makes the dress sit better and feel more substantial to wear. I must do this with future projects.
I took an additional 6 mm out of the top of the side seams of the bodice and shortened the straps.
I had a lot of construction notes and I really wish I wrote them in a book. I completed this garment a long time ago, so any hiccups are a distant memory.
I vaguely remember fussing with the skirt underling, because I changed the positioning of the pleats slightly to fit the print, but that’s all I remember.
I lined the bodice rather than underling it. Not sure if that makes a difference. Perhaps later I will post pictures of the insides of the dress.
This year I will use actual fabric to make wearable muslins and then only fashion fabric that I LOVE when I have perfected the fit of a garment! The work is the same and life is short!
I can’t wait to make more things in bold prints and bright colours!